Navigating this Book
Last update: 5/9/14
From the front page
- A link to the book Index ("back of the book") is at the bottom of the front page, after the listing for Chapter 10. The Index opens in its own window. (The Index is also linked from every Contents page.)
- Each chapter link opens a Table of Contents page for that chapter. (Example: Chapter 1)
- Information pages have links on the left-hand side of the front page. (Example: this page)
From a Contents page (Example: Chapter 1)
- About this Chapter — brief, non-technical description of what to expect. (Example: About Chapter 1)
- Section links go to the first page of each section. (Example: Section 1.1)
- Page links go directly to pages within sections. (Example: Page 1.1.3)
- Each section has a Summary. (Example: Section 1.1 Summary)
- Each section has an Exercises page and a Problems page. (Examples: Section 1.1 Exercises and Problems) These pages open in a different window from the text pages.
- Each chapter has a Summary, usually three pages for Review text, Concepts and Applications, and Formulas (new or cumulative). (Example: Chapter 1 Summary)
- Projects associated with each chapter are listed after the Summary. (Example: Project 1 in Chapter 1) A project may have more than one page, but it is linked only within itself and to the Contents page.
From a text or exercise page
- Internal pop-ups (Comments, Checkpoints, Notes, etc.) — these open in separate tabs or separate windows, depending on your device and your browser settings. (Example: Go to Page 1.1.3 and click on the Table 1 link in the first paragraph.)
- External sources always open in a new window so one can return to the text by just closing that window. (Example: Go to Page 1.1.1 and click on the link in Activity 1.)
- At the bottom of every text or exercise page (but not pop-up pages) there are links to
- Contents (to the chapter Contents already open)
- Back (to previous page), and
- Forward (to next page).
- At the bottom of each pop-up page:
- returns to the text page from which the pop-up was linked.
- Special pop-up links:
- Typically you will have these tabs or windows open: Front Page, Chapter Table of Contents, Text, and perhaps Exercises/Problems, a total of 3 or 4. Pop-up pages, front end pages (like this one), and external links will increase that number temporarily.